Toxic Metal Avoidance
Summary: Wear no jewelry where metal touches the
skin. Use enamel coated or glass cookware for long term use. Use
lexan utensils when possible.
Heavy metals disrupt metabolic function in two basic ways:
First, they accumulate and thereby disrupt function in vital organs and glands such as the heart, brain, kidneys, bone, liver, etc.
Second, they displace vital nutritional minerals from where they should be in the body to provide biological function. For example, enzymes are catalysts for virtually every biochemical reaction in all life-sustaining processes of metabolism. But instead of calcium being present in an enzyme reaction, lead or cadmium may be there in its place. Toxic metals can't fulfill the same role as the nutritional minerals, thus their presence becomes critically disruptive to enzyme activity.
Many metals are necessary in small amounts for health, like nickel, iron, copper, etc. However, this is only if the metal is in a form which is absorbable and usable by the body (trivalent vs hexavalent, e.g.). Otherwise, it is treated as a toxin, and removed by the white blood cells. If the elimination of that particular substance is somehow hampered, as when the kidneys are full of crystals and stones or the liver is compromised, it can accumulate in certain parts of the body. This may lead to compromised immune function in those areas and leave them more vulnerable to chronic parasitic or bacterial infection, as well as cause the cells to absorb less nutrients and oxygen, possibly increasing cancer risk.
Many processed foods contain hydrogenated oils. This is to increase the shelf life since it prevents the oil from going rancid. Besides the health effects of the hydrogenated oil alone which make it worse than saturated fats, hydrogenation occurs in the presence of a toxic metal for a catalyst, like nickel or aluminum, and small but measurable amounts are included along with the product.
Stainless steel also contains nickel and chromium, both of which can be stored as toxins in the body. Good quality hard stainless leaches these ingredients less than poor quality.
There is a difference in opinion on which is safer - the
magnetic or non-magnetic type of stainless steel. Some
say the non magnetic, since it is harder and less likely to
leach any metals, is safest. Some say that the
magnetic type is safest since it has more iron and less
nickel (some even have no nickel) and nickel is the most
toxic metal in the stainless steel. To be safest, avoid ingesting or absorbing as much metal as possible, and avoid even stainless steel. However, if it must be used, it is the opinion of eRegimens that the non-magnetic type is best.
Non metal utensils and vessels are available.
Heavy duty Lexan plastic tableware is inexpensive. It can be purchased at the scouting.org website, at Outdoor
World, and many other places, now including Wal-Mart in
the camping section.
Ceramic coated cooking vessels are good, as is glass cookware, like Corning. Le Creuset, Prinz, and Pfaltzgraff make
enamel coated cookware. Aluminum is also treated as a toxin by the body, and since cooking vessels made of it scratch easily, it is a poor choice. Teflon coating is okay for very occasional use if not heated excessively, but if a pan is to be used a great deal, it is best to get ceramic coated. An inexpensive alternative to the high priced cookware like Prinz and Le Creuset are those blue-with-white-speckled coated pots and pans. They are available at some stores in the cookware, but usually more often in camping supplies.
When any coated cookware chips or otherwise exposes the metal, replace it.
When using pots and pans, never use a metal utensil to stir or serve. High heat plastic utensils are available. Calphalon makes plastic utensils which do not deform under high heat, forming ridges and pockets where bacteria may breed.
If one wears a watch, thin clear plastic film or tape can be used to coat the metal back to prevent it from touching the
skin or better yet get one of those widely available watchbands (like at
WalMart) where the nylon webbing runs behind the watch. If one works with tools a lot, rubber coating is available into which to dip tool
Aluminum is used as an anti-caking agent in most salts. It is not used in KAL
Real Salt, Hain Sea Salt, or Baleine salt. Avoid aluminum in deodorants and antiperspirants.
Do not consume beverages from aluminum cans. Avoid food from "tin" cans when possible.
Metal plumbing is a problem from the copper and other metals which it can leach. Copper is not as much as problem as solder joints on older houses which can contain lead. Galvanized pipes are also a hazard, according to Clark. If there is metal plumbing, filter through carbon if possible before consuming.
Gold can accumulate in certain parts of the body, notably the reproductive
organs. Long term exposure can cause problems, especially in the uterus, testicles, prostate, and pancreas.
Mercury is one of the most toxic metals that accumulates
in the body. Of course, mercury fillings can be a
problem as can the preservatives in vaccines, and these
appear to cause the majority of acute problems. These
are differences in recommendations among alternative health
advocates regarding mercury fillings (also known as
"silver" fillings). Some say that any mercury
in the mouth should be removed as soon as possible.
Others say that once fillings are in there for a few years
that it does more harm than good to remove them. I
tend to agree with this latter statement. I have known
people who appeared to be making progress against disorders
that are possibly exacerbated by mercury in the tissues,
like MS and ALS, do much worse after mercury fillings
were removed. This may be due to the large amount
absorbed when they are drilled out. If they are to be
removed, it would be prudent to use a heavy metal cleansing
regimen before and after to possibly reduce the
accumulation. This would be to use high dose C, plenty
of water (The Water Cure), fresh cilantro (eat a bunch per
day), and use a chlorella supplement. Alpha lipoic
acid may also help in this regard. RenewLife also
makes a product called Heavy Metal Cleanse that may be a
Dr. Mercola (www.mercola.com) states that eating fish,
not dentalwork, is the major source of mercury
exposure. He recommends using molecularly distilled
fish oil (except for the worst department and drugstore types, all of them are this type these days)
instead of eating fish. But, these fish are supposedly
the least likely to be contaminated with mercury: Summer
Pacific Salmon, Croaker, Sardines, Haddock, Tilapia. The
longest-lived fish accumulate the most mercury and these
include shark, swordfish, and tuna.
On the other hand, Hulda Clark says dentalwork, not eating fish, is the major source of mercury exposure.